Monday, October 11, 2010

Changing My Habits

Before I had kids I always told myself I'd exercise right after I had them and lose all of my baby weight before I had another baby.
I had my first child in 2005. After I had him, I got into a routine that did not include exercise.
Before I knew it, along came #2 in 2007. I didn't lose any of her weight either. Then, I had my 3rd this March and decided enough was enough. I wanted to change my habits, get back in shape, and take control of my weight.
I started small, since my body wasn't used to a lot of stress.
In order to fit exercise into my schedule, I had to start early in the morning. I am NOT a morning person, so it was really hard getting up. But, I did it. (I may have whined to my hubby about it, but just a little...)
I started my exercising journey with running. I was never a runner, and hadn't run at all since high school. And even then I only ever ran 2 miles. Usually stopping and walking a few times.

So, the first time I laced up my shoes and headed to the track, I ran half a mile.
The next time a mile.
Then, a mile and half, and so on. Slowly getting my body used to it. I had horrible side aches at first, and sounded horrible with my loud breathing, but I got used to it.
Over a few weeks time, I got up to three miles without stopping.
I joined a gym.
I started eating better.

And you know what? I can proudly say, I've exceeded my expectations. I've lost about 30 pounds since April, and even though I still have some to lose, I feel so much better about myself. I ran my first 5K in September with my cute mom and sisters and got a decent time.

I'm the short one...1135 :)
I'm wanting to train for a sprint triathlon next summer, but I may wait until I'm done having kids. It is on my list to do though! I will do it someday.

Now, what does this have to do with writing you ask?
Well, when I first started writing 2 years ago, I knew next to nothing about formatting a manuscript, watching out for adverbs, querying agents and so on.
I started small, researching things about this new, strange hobby of mine.
Then I wrote a book.
And another.
I researched agents and publishers, bookmarking their webpages for later use.
I read books on writing.
I set aside time at night after my kidlets went to bed to write.
I wrote another book, since my other two were no where near what they should be. And probably never will be.
I joined a critique group.
Made some writing friends.

And now, I feel so much better about myself in that aspect as well. I don't know the business like a lot of people do, but I do know a ton more than I did when I first started.
It takes work. Patience. And sometimes a lot of tears.
But, when you get into a routine, you feel so much better about yourself. Whether it's writing, exercising or whatever.
I've learned so much, and absolutely love my critique group and the great feedback I get on my book.
So, make a routine. Set a goal, and work it into your everyday schedule. You won't regret it.

Happy Monday everyone! ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything in life worth having takes a whole lot of work. That is definitely something I've learned throughout this process. I started blogging and writing in January and already I've learned so much after writing two books. It's an awesome feeling of accomplishment!

Congrats on all the weight loss!! That too takes dedication and hardwork!

PS I'm a new follower :)

Patti said...

That's a great motivator for me. I've been done having kids since 2002 and have gone up and down so much. Time to make a commitment.

Anonymous said...

Those are both MAJOR accomplishments, Chantele! Way to go! I'm really impressed! I need to step up my commitment to exercise and it probably wouldn't hurt to do the same with my writing, either. ;)

ali cross said...

I am so, so impressed Chantele! I got stuck on the fitness one because that is something I am really struggling with. I want to be one of those people who succeeds at her weight loss goals. Someone like YOU!

Thanks for the inspiring post--on all counts!