Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weird Word Wednesday and the Lie Revealed!!

I sort of have a fascination with strange words. So, every Wednesday I'll post a new one. If anyone can think of a clever sentence to use this word in, I would love to see it!!

Today's weird word is: buss

Definition:
1. A kiss; a playful kiss; a smack.
transitive verb:
1. To kiss; especially to kiss with a smack.

My sentence: I love it when my main characters finally buss each other. Preferably on the lips.


**Also, fellow crusaders, I will now point out my lie from the first crusade challenge.

*I do love watching nature shows. I'm not sure why.

*I definitely use too many commas for my liking.

*I love making friends and tend to be a very happy person. :)

*Book buying is a huge problem for me. What can I say? I'm addicted!

*I honestly don't own one pair of plain white socks. All of mine are colorful, quirky, and fun. :)

*I do NOT want eight kids. I'll stick with the three that I have, and will most likely add just one more. :)

So, there you have it! Most of you guys guessed right, and I loved your comments on how crazy it would be to have 8 kids! There are some moms who can totally do it, but I cannot! :D

11 comments:

Michelle Merrill said...

I'm not sure I could do 8 either. I have no idea how my mom managed 10. Like I said, she's my hero. Anyway, I love your weird word idea! Here's my buss sentence, or more like sentence's :)

When Sam, a smokin' hot boy with nice hands and a strangely gorgeous toothy smile, leaned forward to give me a kiss, my mom's voice came through the door. My head whipped to the side and Sam's lips crashed with my face, leaving me with nothing but a loud buss on the cheek. So much for romantic :)

Unknown said...

"Buss" actually sounds like the Persian word for kiss. Or I imagine it sounds like it. "Boose" is roughly how I'd transcribe it. I'm half-Iranian, and I unfortunately DON'T know a lot of Persian, but my family is very lovey-dovey, so I do know that one!

I wonder if the words are related? I took Old English and History of the English Language in college, and the professor for both was a linguistics genius. Got me totally interested in etymology, which says a lot, because I was already intrigued beforehand.

This is my sentence, Persian-ified:

"Boose, boose!" (That would be my grandmother, an adorable little lady, beckoning with extended arms.)

I know. Totally unoriginal, and I didn't even use the correct spelling. But it's so PERSIAN. ;)

Cheers!

Devin Bond said...

Very nice lie! :) But, totally realistic at the same time. Who can even afford eight kids these days?

Candice said...

If Buster bussed a bus full of babes, how many babes on a bus did Buster buss?

Chantele Sedgwick said...

@Michelle Merrill Awesome sentences Michelle! :D I can just picture that whole scene in my head!
@Shayda- That is so interesting about the Persian word! I wish I knew more about cool stuff like that. ;)
@Devin- I know what you mean about affording 8 kids... There is no way.

@Candice That is hilarious!! :D

Sari Webb said...

Whew. Eight kids would be a handful. I want max two O.O

Susan Fields said...

I have three kids, and that's more than enough for me! Just kidding - they're all fantastic, but they keep me as busy as I can handle.

I know what you mean about the book buying addiction - that's a huge problem for me. I guess we need to support our industry, though, right?

Candice said...

Your post inspired my post today! :) http://candicekennington.blogspot.com/2011/02/buss-me-mucho-or-conversations-with-my.html

Kasie West said...

New words are fun to learn. I like your new wednesday feature. :)

Trisha said...

That is an odd word ;)

Do you find that 'normal' words sometimes start to look strange the more you look at them? :P I have that problem.

Anonymous said...

Eight kids? I'd have trouble naming all of them. I could be like Mrs. McCave who had twenty three sons and named them all Dave. (I used to have that whole story memorized!) I use a lot of commas, too. A lot of the time my writing buddy will wonder what I said. She told me I used to many commas and she wasn't sure what I meant. ;D