Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Not My Type: A Single Girl's Guide to Getting it All Wrong by Melanie Jacobson

Oh, how I love Melanie. I started following her blog years ago. She is hilarious and full of awesome.

I was so excited to read her book The List when it came out. It was so cute and funny. I even got it signed by her when I met her at the Storymakers Writers conference in May. She taught a class on dialogue and she is just as hilarious and sweet in person.

When she asked me to read and review her new book, I jumped at the chance. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.  It was so cute. SO funny. I recommend it to everyone. And it doesn't hurt that it has a stinkin' cute cover!


A little about the book:

Twenty-three-year-old Pepper Spicer is not living the dream. She ended her engagement at the last minute because her fiancĂ© — a musician and soon-to-be reality TV star — wanted her to sacrifice her own career ambitions for his.

Now she's stuck at home sharing a room with her little sister, trying to pay off massive debt for a wedding that didn't happen, and spending Friday nights Facebook-stalking everyone who has a better life. Her therapist father urges her to choose her career dreams and count her blessings by writing weekly thank you notes, but gratitude is a tall order when she botches an important job interview and has to settle for writing an undercover dating web-zine column — the
last thing in the world she wants to do. Still, as Pepper (byline: Indie Girl) chronicles her bizarre and hilarious blind dates, she gives her father's challenge a try and slowly finds herself leaving self-pity behind. Life takes a major upswing as Pepper's column hits the big time and she tastes the exhilarating thrill of success. But there's one tiny problem: the intensely hot man she's falling for is having issues with her job (again). Will Pepper trade her personal ambition for another chance at love?



Doesn't that sound so cute? Well, it was. It was also hilarious. She's named after a spice for one thing. And so are all of her siblings. I didn't even notice until she pointed it out in the book. Pepper Spicer? What were her parents thinking! LOL

One thing I loved about this book were how the chapters started with thank-you notes to various people in Pepper's life. Some are touching and sweet, but some are seriously hilarious. It made me want to write thank you notes to people in my OWN life. Still thinking about it actually...

Another thing I loved, was Pepper's love life. This book is full of awkward blind dates. She has some pretty interesting things happen on them that had me rolling! There is also a sweet romance with a hot, but flawed guy and did I mention the awesome kisses? Oh, and there is a mountain biking scene that had me laughing my head off. Since my hubby took me mountain biking for the first time this year, I knew exactly what she felt like! Ha ha! :)

Anyway, this book is so much fun. I really enjoyed it and I just love Melanie. If you ever get a chance to hear her present at a conference or to go to one of her signings, DO IT! She is so sweet and fun. Thank you Melanie for letting me read and review your book! Can't wait for the next one!

23 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

I love that cover! And the book sounds way cute :)

Liz Reinhardt said...

This book sounds FANTASTIC! And I love the idea of the 'thank you' notes that open the chapters...that would be a really cool thing to send off at random to all those people in your life who deserve thanks! And, speaking of thanks, thank YOU for the review!

Jessie Humphries said...

Good job to Melanie on marketing this book. I am seeing it everywhere. I just might have to get my hands on that cute cover.

Angela Cothran said...

Great review for a great book! It sounds so fun. I'm off to Amazon to look for it :)

Emily R. King said...

Great introduction to the book, thanks!
Oh, my high school band teacher's name was Mr. Spicer. I don't remember his first name, though. I wonder if it was Basil. Hmmm...

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

That does sound great (and adorable cover!) I will definitely be keeping an eye out for Melanie-taught classes.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I have this on my list already. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review!

Patti said...

Sounds like fun read and what a great cover.

Jolene Perry said...

THIS BOOK ROCKS!!!!!!!

So many laugh out loud moments, and so many SWOON worthy moments. A FAB read :D

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I owned a weiner dog named "Spicy Hot Pepper". It reminds me of the name of the protagonist above.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Thanks for the review, Chantele. I really appreciate you!

Kasie West said...

Yes, that sounds very cute! Going on my list. :) And love the cover.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I remember seeing this cover before, I'm half convinced that's my daughter on the cover :-)
This one sounds like fun.

Stacy Henrie said...

Sounds like a fun read! I love funny books - sometimes you just need a little humor to brighten things up.

Abby Fowers said...

I have seen this book all over the blogosphere! I LOVE the cover. It's darling. Now, that I have learned more I must read it. So glad you shared. And I am now following her blog! So excited.

Ruth Josse said...

Striped socks and Converse! Love that cover:) Thanks for the review, I'll be checking it out!

Meredith said...

This book looks seriously adorable! Right up my alley. Thanks so much for telling us about it!

Intangible Hearts said...

Nice review about Melanie Jacobson.
Not my Type sounds like a fun read--wish my book reading pile was a little shorter.

Jeigh said...

Awesome review, can't wait to read it!

ali cross said...

I am hearing nothing but good things about this book! Plus, striped socks and purple chucks? Pepper's MY kind of gal!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

It's so cute guys! Obviously I loved it! :D

Jess said...

I am definitely adding this to my TBR pile after that review! Thanks!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I love the sound of this book! Awkward blind dates? I've never had a blind date, but I kinda wish I did, just so I could talk about it. :)