Hey guys! Happy Monday! Not really... All three of my kids are sick with horrible coughs, so we'll be kickin' it at home all day. At least they'll be relaxing and not running around, right? ;)
Anyway, today I wanted to talk about why I chose to go with a small press. A few of you have asked, so here is my answer. There are actually several factors that made my decision.
1. My book had already been on sub to some of the big publishing houses, and when that happens, you can't send it out again for a very long time.
2. I didn't have an agent anymore to send my book out to the big houses.
3. I've heard great things about small presses, (some) and thought my book would fit well with one.
4. I wasn't going to settle and face the fact that my fairy tale book wouldn't sell. I don't know why, but I knew it was good enough. Which is weird, because I usually have no problem setting a book aside.
5. I wanted a little more freedom in my writing. I want to try a few different genres. And markets. :)
So, that's basically my reasoning. There are a few other things, like the fact that I have small children and a baby due this year that I really thought it would be hard to go on a big book tour or something with a bigger press. AND, small presses are great at listening to their authors thoughts on book covers, edits, etc.
I've also gotten this question a lot. Will I try to get an agent again? Yes. Would I like to publish in one of the big 6? Of course. But for now, this is what I'm supposed to be doing. And it's kind of nice having the freedom to do what I want right now. Who knows. I may stick with small presses for a while. My experience so far has been nothing but professional. The ladies at Crescent Moon Press are awesome. I couldn't ask for anything more in my writing career at the moment. :)
Also, I'm on Goodreads! WOOT! I can't believe it! I've seriously been freaking out all day. It's so awesome to see my book on there. Add it if you'd like. ;) Also, here is the link to Crescent Moon's website. My book and bio are on there as well! :D I still can't believe this is really happening. It all seems like a dream.