Tuesday, July 7, 2009

When to tell your characters to shut up!:)

So, I have been working on my current WIP for probably 2 months now. I am almost, ALMOST finished with the first draft, and I have been having a problem for the past week or so. There is this character that I am going to write about in my next book, and he won't leave me alone! I'll be happily writing my current story, having my creative juices flowing, and then BAM! This persistent character will show up out of nowhere, and try to tell me to stop writing my YA fantasy, and start writing about him! I have told him countless times, to leave me alone for another month or so, but he is so stubborn, (and so am I) that I find myself almost pulling my hair out!
So, my question is, what do you do you do about a character that will not stop talking to you, even though it's not his time to tell his story yet!? Do you put your project on hold, and start his story? Or, do you tell him to go away and come back later?
Don't get me wrong, I really love this character, but I really want to finish what I am writing right now! Thoughts?

2 comments:

Patti said...

I'd lock him in a closet and get your WIP done.

Gamila said...

I'd jot down a few notes about him in fear that I would forget important details, espeically if I had a good plot idea or interesting scene, but spend the majority of my time and effort on the WIP.