Monday, November 8, 2010

Changing Genres

I love writing YA. Especially YA fantasy. So, when I was sitting at my parents house the other day, watching my kids run around and laughing and talking with my family, I had a new idea sprout in my mind.
I want to write a nonfiction book.
Now, if you guys know me, which most of you don't, LOL, I do NOT write nonfiction. I don't read it either. But, this idea has sort of been burning near the back of my mind for a while now and I kept telling it to take a hike. Until now.
So, while I edit away on my YA fantasy, I'm starting a Nonfiction book. It's about families, and I'm really excited to start. I've never been an outliner either, and I've been outlining like crazy! We'll see where it goes. It will be geared towards the LDS market, while my YA books are mostly for the National. I'm excited to start writing and I've already had some great experiences, even with outlining! :)
What about you guys? Do you stick to one genre? Or do you try several?

3 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

I have a fairy tale floating around in the back of my head that maybe I'll tackle some day. Sometimes it's fun to think about a different genre just because it can give you a different perspective on your usual genre, I think. At least, that's how it works for me. :)

LisaAnn said...

I've tagged you with an award girl! Come check it out.

Jolene Perry said...

Sticking to one genre would make me feel like I was stuck in a horrible, little black box, never to return again. Best of luck on your new project. I think people with the imagination for a fiction book, will probably write a more interesting non-fiction. Good luck with it!